Commuting used to be boring, more like a burden. With the latest advances in technology and entertainment, it should no longer be like that. Instead of considering commute as dead time, consider it as the ultimate quiet time. And you can do whatever you want!
In this post, I am sharing my experiences and what works for me to maximize my time. This is more so like a continuation of my “morning routine” (check out original post here).
First step: Find a purpose for your commute! Think of this time as a gift. For me, going to the office is more about “connecting” to my business life, and going home is about “transitioning” to my personal life.
Second Step: Find content that meets your purpose.
Staying focused on one particular subject definitely creates a lot of stress and anxiety. Like anything else, I plan what I’ll be doing in my commute based on the two purposes I outlined on first step.
I recommend that you STAY AWAY from radio programs that only distract you – i.e. talk shows, news and political shows.
If you want to follow news, I suggest you using a decent News app where you can read unbiased articles about what is going on in the world. I personally don’t recommend you doing that while driving to work. It will just set you in a bad mood… I usually check the News app on my ipad while having breakfast and will do the same after dinner.
How do I connect with business life? Here’s the type of content I choose on my way in to the office:
– Podcasts: Content include entrepreneurship, leadership, motivation and inspiring interviews.
– Audiobooks: content includes mostly any books about business topics. If you are going to school, you could also use this time to listen to school classes stuff.
– Phone Calls: Depending on what my calendar looks like, I make a few phone calls to prepare for the big decisions of the day. I do have a rule – I do not do 1:1’s while driving. This was something a coach told me. 1:1 time should be “no distractions” time.
How do I connect with my personal life? Here’s the type of content I choose on my way home:
– Listen to favorite sports radio show: I use the app TuneIn to catch on Soccer news around the world.
– Look around: On other days, I just turn off the radio and look outside. I like to “see the world spin”. Maybe take cool pictures too!
– Phone Calls: These are different from my way in the office, I usually call a friend or business partner from my personal investments.
BONUS: If you are NOT driving…. I would add….
– Clean up your calendar using the 48 hour rule (read more here)
– Take Notes and update your To Do lists
– Check your personal financials: use your mobile apps for banking and bill payments. Definitely saves time!
How do you spend your commute? Tell me all about it by leaving a comment!